18 months on .... why does it feel like a lifetime and only yesterday?

 


So today (28th July 2022) marks 18 months into this grief journey. 

I have been having more good days than bad but today the grief monster arrived and stayed for breakfast, lunch and tea! 

18 months - I thought I would be so much further on than I am. But, I don't know why other than before this I believed that grief was a linear process that I just had to get through ... and after 18 months I would be well through it and nearly at the other side. How little I knew! 

I have spent some of the day beating myself up for not being further along. 

I have spent some of the day beating myself up for feeling sorry for myself.

I have spent some of the day beating myself up for for letting him down. 

I have spent most of the day in tears.

I have spent most of the day feeling the pain deep, deep inside. 

I think it's beginning to sink in. 

The thought of FUTURE is now beginning to dawn. For so long, I could just about live in the here and now - future could be later today, later in the week that's about all I could real handle. 

But now, the brain fog is beginning to clear, I can see a haze of some kind of future ahead of me. I need to shape and create a life for myself. I have a future (how ever much I didn't want one in the early days)! 

What do I want my lifetime to be? I have no idea. I did know. We had a clear plan. But I don't fit that plan anymore. I don't fit that life. 

It feels like only yesterday I knew what I wanted and what I was doing. And yet it's a lifetime that I have be feeling my way through this dark corridor of grief. 

If you had said to me in the early days at how I would feel at the 18 months point- I think that I would have thought that I would be far more sorted that I am. I would have expected that I would know what I am doing- have a plan and working it. That's what I did, before all this. 

But I am not that girl any more. 

I know that I need to be a bit kinder to myself. I need to cut myself a bit of slack, because I  am not that girl any more. I need to relearn who I am and what life holds for me. 

I feel a bit like a caterpillar- a rather chubby caterpillar (I have discovered that eating everything is not therapy- That's a whole other post!) 

I feel as though I am building my chrysalis and will need to be a bit dormant for a while before I emerge.  

Yep, I am definitely in the chrysalis- stage!  

Awaiting metamorphosis - the expectation is that butterflies emerge all beautiful and changed whereas in actual-ality they come out wet and tired before they dry out and are strong enough to fly!  

 with love

Hx

AKA the chubby caterpillar

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding who I am in widowhood

Finding your why - What IS my purpose?

My values